Like a diamond, this passage is best considered with slow turns so that you catch the light reflecting off its many facets. Beautiful colors sparkle from within as your eye moves to take in the whole and then refocuses on a new detail. There is probably no other single passage that so captures the breadth and depth of God’s gracious work of redemption on our behalf. Indeed, the beauty we are beholding here emanates from—and leads us to praise—his glorious grace.

In my arc below, I have zoomed out a bit, leaving many (beautiful and significant) details grouped together within larger propositions. My aim is to see the macro-structure of the whole. Three specific features stand out to help mark the edges where the facets come together:

• Four indicative verbs (highlighted in red) identify the main clauses that set forth the specific blessings God has granted.

• Each of these verbs is modified by the prepositional phrase, “in him,” which points back to the banner over this whole passage in v.3b. Praise is due to the Father “who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places.”

• Each of these propositions is elaborated with a participial clause which has the effect of creating a secondary facet that shifts the light a bit in order to catch our eye and cause us to linger, “Do you see that?”

Screen Shot 2020-01-28 at 10.53.30 AM.png